Tuesday 22 April 2008

Websites for THE ARTIST

The number of free websites open to the independent artist are many and manifold.

 

They generally promise the same things.

 

You get to design your own profile.

 

Whoopee! You cut and paste the usual yap that you’ve put on all the other websites that promised so much but gave so little. The usual collection of badly lit jpegs showing the variety of haircuts and dodgy fashion choices you’ve made over the years.

 

Get your music heard!

 

I think I’ve covered that haven’t I?

 

 

Tell us about all your live shows.

 

To be honest this CAN be quite useful as one can see where one might go to get gigs for oneself, can’t one?

 

I am a member of so many of these sites, the only way I know is that I receive emails from them daily. None of them, except one that I’ll get to in a minute, actually DO anything. I joined one recently after being encouraged to by a friend that works for the site. I had a heady 2 weeks of “so and so wants to be your friend” “So and so made a comment about your song” comments from other hapless fools like myself congratulating me on a “great sound” or a “kicking track” as I believe our American cousins put it. Then nothing…….honestly nothing! I had taken my own advice and had gone and listened to around 20 of the 300 or so people. To be frank, tragic. Not all in their defence but pretty much.

 

So is there a site that DOES do me some good? Well, yes there is and thanks for asking. It’s called Reverbnation.com and it is the dog’s balls. There are a few good artists there as well as some tragic covers duos that are worth a listen for the comedy value alone. They also have widgets, fantastic little devices that you can paste into other website and/or emails that will play your efforts in a nice little player. Widgets that folk can submit their email addresses to become part of ones fanbase. The best thing of all is that you can keep tabs on these tecky little bastards and see how many people have played them.

 

The sharp eyed amongst you will have spotted that there are a couple on this very page.

If you haven't already, give em a click.

 

I’d be interested if any of you (please let there be more than one of you dear god) have had any joy and by joy I mean this “Someone who you don’t know has listen to one of the tunes you have on your profile (and this is important) more than once?”

 

 

I have experienced this joy and it is a joy unconfined!

 

So, what have we learned?

 

Oh just click on a widget………….

2 comments:

Angel said...

Enjoyed reading this sir. Made me smile. It is your best entry yet. I realize 'best entry yet' is not proper but neither am I, so there you have it. Going to click on a widget now. Good night...

Roszs said...

The word 'widget' is one of my favourite. Well done on using it so many times in one post!