Thursday 1 May 2008

Shame, shame on you

A few weeks ago I was listening to a radio interview with Eric Clapton.

I must admit I have never been a fan although I am quiet impressed with some of the stuff he has done with Cream. However, in the course of this interview (drugs, drink, women etc, you know the score) he stated that throughout his career he had never sold out or compromised. He had stayed true to his “I’ll do what I want/Stick it to the man” approach.

 

As the interview came to a close, he explained that his new album was just as exciting and vibrant as all his other work and then a track from it was then played.

 

I was expecting some cutting edge kick ass blues but no, it was a lazy, Travelling Wilburys/Dire Straits piece of pappy lift music.

 

What happens to these people? He’s not the only one. There are plenty of once great writers and performers that, in later life, just gave in.

 

Off the top of my head Elton John, The Stranglers, Genesis, Black Eye Peas, Van Morrison, Stevie Wonder. Yes Stevie fucking Wonder! Possibly one of the funkiest, coolest singers of all time. Superstition, Living for The City, Sir Duke, Ribbon in the Sky I could go on.

In fact I will! I wish, Master Blaster, Happy Birthday, Love’s in need of Love Today possible some of the best tunes of all time. What happened? Ebony and ivory and I just called to say I love you. It breaks your heart. Well it breaks mine.

He did redeem himself a while back and did some great shows of all the old stuff. I have the Abbey Road stuff, it’s great. No Ebony and Ivory.

 

Oasis.

Have you heard the new Oasis single? Again I’ve never been a big fan but it has that air of a comfy armchair and a pair of slippers, then sit down and watch Top Gear.

In short it’s shit.

 

It doesn’t happen to them all thank Christ.

Prince, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Rufus Wainwright and the glorious Radiohead to name but some. They keep the faith.

 

But I wonder for how long. How long will they keep the pap at bay?

The others couldn’t manage it, surrounded by “yes men” and “unit shifters” they gave in to the fate of the others.

 

That brings me to the latest casualty. Away for a couple of years and exposed to the full glare of the media they trumpet their return by releasing one of the most dire, uninspired pieces of dross. Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Coldplay. Shame, shame on you…


I am just about post this when I think that you, dear reader, may want to ask "Nick, why are you so pissed off at this?"  "Why should it bother you?" 

Well, the reason that it sticks in my claw is that whilst these so - called "greats" are pumping out some sad old pap, there are thousand of independent artists that are coming out with stuff that is far superior. If you read my other yap you will see that I don't mean me, well maybe me a bit but that's not the point. 

But perhaps it is........

 

 

3 comments:

Roszs said...

"Prince, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Rufus Wainwright and the glorious Radiohead to name but some. They keep the faith.

But I wonder for how long. How long will they keep the pap at bay?"

Wainwright and Prince will sell out at some point, but Radiohead, Waits and Costello are physically incapable I reckon.

Dat is wot I finks anyway.

Nick Tann said...

I'm not so sure.

I think Prince would have done by now. I have so much of his stuff including rehersals and jams none are showing signs of papness.


Rufus, I hope not although his last album WAS produced by The Pet Shop Boys

Roszs said...

Yeah, you're probably right about Prince, I've never been a fan so couldn't really comment (didn't stop me though, did you notice?!)

I like RW but I don't really see him as someone 'pushing the envelope' (can you tell I've been watching the Apprentice?!)