Thursday 28 January 2010

A little faith...





I played at the Soul Cellar last night. No biggies, I've played there a few times, it's a nice little cellar bar in Southampton.
When I arrived the place was dead apart from a few friends (4)of the guy that was playing at the time.
He was thrashing away, acoustic guitar and mic plugged into an amp, a Marshall I think.
There were about 3 other random chaps hanging about but they buggered off after a while.
Young Jack Martello played next. He played his usual set of covers and original songs.
The previous guy and his mates had pissed off by this time. Solidarity brother!
Around halfway through Jack's set the place started to fill up a bit. The reason being was that the drum and bass club upstairs was due to start and a few enthusiastic D&Bers had turned up early and wher taking advantage of the cheeper drinks downstairs before it all kicked off.
I was standing next to Mrs Nick and remarked that this would be a great opportunity to play Pure Acoustic ie no mic, no amp just me on stage singing with a guitar.
She, understandably, was unsure. "People won't be able to hear" she said. Looking round at the young crowd of around thirty, mainly male average age around 20  I thought she may have a point.

I've been toying with this theory that if you play Pure Acoustic, people will  talk quieter and some will even listen EVEN in a big noisy bar.

This theory was borne out last night. At first people didn't notice and probably wondered when I was going to start. Nevertheless they did clap when I had finished so at least they noticed thaty I had stopped.
When I cracked into my second tune, the ones that wanted to listen did and the overall sound level had dropped considerably. I was playing ballads and getting a great reaction and by the time I got to the end of my set the louder funky tunes went down a treat!

So, Pure Acoustica DOES work, people DO listen.


2 comments:

dAb said...

Good on you man! :)

Anonymous said...

You were awesome Nick - many thanks.
Jodie