Friday 6 November 2009

Duo et Mono


http://www.monobar.com/

So my plan was to go and play at 90 Degrees in Southampton last night (Wednesday)
It's one of those large plush clubs in town frequented by students and other bright young things. Not my usual kind of place, I have tee-shirts older than most of the people in there, but I've played there before and went down surprisingly well and they asked me back to play and so I did.
On the way there I texted friend and fellow muso Real Raj as to what I was doing and as luck would have it, he was playing just round the corner at the Mono bar and would meet me for a swifter before he went on. Mrs Nick was too tired to come out on a school night, so I was on my own.
So it was all rather jolly as I walked in to 90 Degrees, Raj at the bar chatting to another music type. I'm sure he knows just about every singer, player, promoter whatever in Southampton!
He was just about to start so we agreed to meet up at the Mono after I had finished my set.
It was a noisy 90 Degrees by the time I started and I quickly realised that hardly anyone was listening. I got a smattering of applause but I could tell that they weren't really into it. I wasn't that bothered to be honest, I was in a tip top mood, I wasusing this as a rehearsal for a bigger gig I have this coming Monday and I was looking forward to catching up with Raj at The Mono. So when I finished to a larger smattering I slipped out and was off to The Mono.

The Mono was a welcome change. Just around the corner but still right in the centre of the Southampton club area, The Mono has a fantastic friendly atmosphere. A great guy called Jack Martello was rocking the place and had the crowd in the palm of his hand.
I met up with Raj who introduced me to one of the guys that run the nigh, Martin.
Whilst chatting Martin mentioned that the next act had just cried off and offered me a spot after Jackson. Sorted!
So after 15 mins or so I got up on stage and did a few of my funkier songs as I guessed that the crowd wanted to stay up on the high that Jackson had created previously plus they were all a it pissed but that nice red wine late at night type pissed not that largered up angry pissed.
Someone requested something romantic so I did "All I Think About Is You" which went down really well. One girl actually stood up and started swaying (to my lovely music not because she was legless!) as if she was listening to a tune she knew, loverly.
I finished off with "Pale Moonlight" which is always a nice big crowd pleaser.

Met up with Raj and Jackson at the bar who were chatting with Martin and the other guy that runs the night Christian. Jackson was very keen about Pure Acoustica and will be playing at the next night at the Dolphin.
Martin and Christian seemed pleased with my set and said they'd book me for another.

I didn't get home till 1.30am so I was pretty knackered when the alarm went off at 6.50.
Still, had a great time.

No comments: