Saturday 25 October 2008

Podcasting

I have always wanted to do this.
Actually I have always wanted my own radio show.
I love the radio and always have. As a 7 year old I used to tune in my tiny radio (with the single earpiece!) late at night and listen to Radio Caroline, The World Service and a plethora of crazy European foreign language stations. When I got to about 15 I fell in love with Radio 4. I thought it was cool to listen to The Archers, a kind of rebellion in a sea of punk and Bay City Rollers. 

So now to the podcast (I could talk about the 70's for hours LITERALLY ). 
After spying on fellow reverbnationer (yes that is a proper word...now) Matt Stevens, I noticed that he had a podcast available on iTunes. 

I am a big fan of the podcast having been given a "pod" by Mrs Nick some 2 years ago although one doesn't need one to listen to a podcast, oh no.
So on emailing him he directed me to www.podbean.com and I signed up.
I got all profiled up and then went about making my fist podcast. I had an idea of what I wanted to do. I had recorded some of the Chaplins gig and wanted to play some of the songs from that plus a little chat. After much faffing I decided on a format. 
1) Scripted intro......I tried to do it straight "off the mic" but found myself drowning in a sea of "ahh's" and "ums" and hitherto unknown habit of smacking my gums before each sentence. 
2) The tune
3) An unscripted conversational chat with "The Secret Guest".

 "The Secret Guest" has to remain secret as they get enough publicity as it is and don't want anymore so best keep mum eh?
So after a little editing and tweaking here and there, I loaded it up. I'm still waiting for the beautiful monster that is iTunes to show it but it's only a matter of time.
If you've never heard of podcasts and aren't sure what the are, the Wikipedia definition is the best
So if you have ten minutes to spare click on the purple widget (yes I know I just can't help myself!) on the right
Here is my Top Ten Podcast list
3) The Archers. See higher above
4) Jonathan Ross. Much better than tv Ross
9) Radiohead "In Rainbows" podcast. You didn't know? Shame. Thank me later.
Do you podcast?
What do you listen to?
Have I whetted your appetite?
Any other business?

No comments: