Saturday 11 October 2008

Catch Up

The Edge of the Wedge Southsea.....is a nice little bar. I played there before earlier this year and loved the place. It's situated on the main drag in the seaside bit of Portsmouth next to The Wedgewood Rooms. It had changed a bit since I had last played there. It had more sofas and it was dark outside. Not the bars fault obviously just the time of year. I was given the choice of when to go one and decided on the second slot. There were 3 acts on (supposedly, I'll get to that) so the second slot was the obvious choice. The first guy could soften them up (the audience), I come on and blow their minds and then the poor sap coming last has to "follow that!". Yes, cold and calculating, that's me.

The first guy came on and did a good fluffing job for me. Then I hauled myself out of one of the many sofas ( they really are very comfy) plugged in and was good to go. I was a little apprehensive as I had decided to do my quiet, ballad rip your heart out songs and the place was pretty noisy. It was a youngish audience and there were a few characters at the bar who looked like they might not take to songs about unrequited love, prostitutes the odd Jeff Buckley cover.
Also, just as I was about to start the entire bar erupts into a cheer as a be-spectacled figure walks in with a guitar case nodding, exchanging back slaps and pleasantries with pretty much everyone in the place. It then dawned on me (quick see that's me) that these were ALL his friends. They had ALL come to see him. He soon collected a little posse of smokers who would, en masse, troupe outside for a smoke and more backslaps throughout my set. 
However, they loved it or rather they loved me. They were quiet and attentive throughout my set, applauded and cheered in the right places  and were more than happy as I pimped my cards and cds after my set.
I then realised that my decision to go second was a good one. Mr Popular came on and played a short (15 mins or so) set of tunes on his Uke  that he had written 20 years since and were known by the entire bar, as they were all his friends (remember? Hope you're keeping up).  Funny, witty and not too far away from the great George Formby whose wife Beryl is a bit of a hero of mine. Next up was another friend of the audience who, guitar in hand, went on to please the audience. All this, coupled with the comfy sofas, had the feeling that we were at a house party thrown in a strangers house.
By the time yet another "mate" had taken the mic we thought it was time to leave. It was all very good but yet another private joke laden set was too much for us by then and we (Mrs Nick, Bill & Lisa ) disappeared into the night
This was just before all my Winchester gigs so a nice little warm up it was. 

Not like Chaplins last sunday, oh christ no.......

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am first up to comment on this amazingly egotistical blog.. Wish I had someone who was "a fluffer for me" first.

It is a shame I wasn't at the gig that night to fully appreciate just how seriously you are into yourself.

Can't believe you even suggest you need a fluffer as you do a pretty good job of wanking over yourself anyway!!

Hope Mrs Nick feels the same it might save her 5 mins every now and then....

Nick Tann said...

Perhaps you misunderstand the idea of a blog anonymous.

Perhaps I should write about you?

Anonymous said...

Fucking hell - how out of order is anonymous?!

It wasn't even egotistical - you just said the gig went well. I'm sure you'd say if it didn't... and you also praised the headliner which balances it all out.

Bastards. They're all bastards, these anonymous bastards.

Yes! 'Bastards'.

Anonymous said...

See what I mean nick? No such thing as bad publicity.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with SH. Anonymous is a huge tool, and it's blatantly obvious that he has relations with farm animals.

...and the puss doesn't even have the nerve to let his name be seen.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous has relations with farm animals?!

I miss ALL the good stuff.